The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cold Water Freak Out


This morning I met 3 other triathletes for an open water swim at a nearby pond. We all had wetsuits we had never worn and we are all registered for races in 2 weeks. I'm glad we did it-- but I did not have a very successful swim.

It rained most of the day yesterday, and overnight it was coming down hard. But the morning was bright and sunny, just a little cool-- it was only 53 degrees when we were suited up and ready to go. Even with the wetsuit, that water was COLD. My wetsuit is sleeveless and my arms were really cold. As soon as I hit the water, I felt like my heart rate went sky high and I couldn't find my breath. I could not get any kind of rhythm going. I couldn't calm myself down to get control, and that feeling of not having control made it worse. I'm not sure how long I tried (not very long) or how far I had gotten (not very far) before I decided to turn around. We had someone rowing a little boat and she followed me back to the dock and then turned around to catch up with my 3 friends. They all swam across the pond and back.

So I have next weekend to conquer the swimming demon. Suprisingly, I am not all worried about this. It would have been a real problem if I hadn't done this before the race. But now that I know what to expect, I think I will be able to handle it. I'm already formulating a plan for next weekend, when I will be swimming in the lake where my family had a summer home for years and years.

Today I realized that triathlons are not just swimming, biking and running, they are also a mind game, and your mind can shut you down in a flash.

4 comments:

Flo said...

Ah, yes, my nemesis the swim... It really is the mind that can shut you down quicker then the body. Good luck next weekend, you'll conquer it.

yumi said...

Nice to meet you.

I want to change information about a diet and health or the exercise for a lot of people.

I linked your site.
Please link to my site.

http://healthy-diet-food-sports-weight-loss.blogspot.com/

Thanking you in advance.

kttrue said...

It was very, very cold. It will be warmer next time, for sure, and you will be fine.

Jon said...

That water literally took my breath away! You will conquer the water next time!