The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, June 13, 2008

After Tri, Before DSLR

Having the triathlon on my schedule was a wonderful goal and really motivated me to work hard and challenge myself, mentally and physically. So, as might be expected, I have let things slide since the race. I think I needed the “vacation,” especially mentally. But now I am trying to find another direction or goal, to get me back in the game. I looked at the triathlon schedules for the rest of the season and nothing popped out as being both in the realm of possibility and at a time when I am not traveling. I am going to be traveling quite a bit in the next 6 weeks, which makes training for any race difficult. So I have decided to focus more on what I enjoy the most—being outdoors and riding my bike. Yesterday was a beautiful day and I went out for a ride by myself, something I don’t do very often. But it was nice to ride at whatever pace felt right, stop to take a few pictures, and make my own decisions about whether to make that right knowing it would take me uphill. In the evening, I volunteered to row my little boat for tri-friend K, who is getting ready for the Philly Tri (an Olympic). We were joined by another club member who brought his kayak, just to get out on the water. Then we made friends with another kayaker, and our little flotilla surrounded K as she swam about a mile. We finished up with a little picnic. So overall, it was a great day! I made that right turn and climbed to the top of Moseman Avenue. I rowed my little boat on a beautiful little lake and picnicked with some friends. When I got home, I spent some time with DH. And when the day was done, I slept like a baby.

Over the last month or so, I have been taking my camera along and taking pictures wherever I go. Yankee Stadium, Batavia, biking and hiking. I went to the Fat Tire Festival last weekend just to take photos. DH and I are going to Israel next month, so I decided it was now or never. I bought the digital SLR that I have coveted for so long. I bought a Canon Rebel XTi with a 28-135 zoom. DH called to tell me that it was delivered. My Before DSLR days are over. Tomorrow is the first day of my DSLR Life. First stop: Cold Spring Triathlon, which features a 1 mile kayak in lieu of a swim segment.

3 comments:

leslie said...

I love your new focus (no pun intended -- I'm talking about your approach to fitness here!). And congratulations on your camera. My birth mother just got a DSLR and she LOVES!!! it!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Audrey said...

holler. that's really nice you rowed for your friend! very supportive and i'm sure MUCH appreciated by her. she had a LOT of kyack attention for her mile!!! :)

kttrue said...

Yes, I felt quite taken care of. Thanks again Shelly. How about riding in the dark Wednesday night? Does your camera take pics in the dark?