The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, July 28, 2008

A Little Bit of Everything

This past weekend was the perfect blend of activities. On Friday afternoon, I made a trip to the Bronx Botanical Gardens to see and photograph the Moore sculpture exhibit. Moore's sculptures are quite large and the beautiful gardens are the perfect backdrop. The only problem was that I really didn't like his sculptures. I liked seeing them in this setting--it provided a great excuse to wander through the Botanical Gardens.

On Saturday and Sunday mornings I went out for easy club rides to get my legs turning and my butt used to sitting on a bike saddle. I haven't done any real bike riding in about a month and it felt good to be out there covering some miles and feeling my heart pound on the climbs. This was good stuff!

On Saturday night we went to a 50th birthday party for a dear friend. She hasn't had an easy time in the past year, but she seemed happy to be surrounded by her friends and family. The invite said no gifts, so I didn't buy her anything. Instead I printed out 2 nice photographs I had taken on occasions when we were together-- one was from when we went to see the Chihuly exhibit at the Bronx Botanical Gardens, as a matter of fact. And the other was an autumn hike overlooking the Hudson River. Then I burned a collection of 50 songs covering 5 decades-- from Peggy Lee to Coldplay. I'm sure she will appreciate these gifts more than a gift certificate to Sports Authority or something similar.

And Sunday night featured a trip to Giants Stadium for a Bruce Springsteen concert. Every time I see the man perform, I am more impressed with his musical genius. It was 3 hours of kick ass rock n roll. DH went back for more. He has a serious Boss addiction.

No comments: