The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The 35-Mile 30-Mile Ride


Sunday was the Tour de Putnam, which is a self-paced (self-inflicted) bike ride through lovely and almost rural Putnam County. It should be subtitled Tour de Hills. I knew it was going to be hilly so I opted for the 30 mile ride instead of the 50 miler. I met up with some of my club buddies and we set off on our journey. As we left the park, a photographer snapped a couple of shots and we ended up on the website of the local newspaper. That's me in front!

Well, we were riding along going up and up and up and occasionally down. It was mostly rolling hills with a few challenging climbs. It was not a really nice day, but we were thankful for the cloud cover which kept the temperature down. When we stopped at mile 19 for a bathroom break and refreshments (yummm, Fig Newtons!) I was thinking, "10 more miles, time to bring it home!" Then I looked at the cue sheet and the ride was actually 35 miles. I didn't actual mind the extra 5 miles. In fact, that made the ride just about perfect for me. But I can't figure out why they would advertise a 30 mile ride and then give you a 35 mile route. The last 5 miles were probably the flattest part of the ride, anyway, but I was glad to see the park and get some real food. I talked with some of my friends who did the 50 miler, and they said their route was only 45 miles!! Well, I know where the missing 5 miles ended up-- on my ride! Not a big deal, just something to blog about.

(Photo with Buddha at the entrance to the Chuang Yen Monastery, Kent NY)

No comments: