The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Estrogen and Inflammation

I did a little bit of research and I learned about the relationship between menopause, estrogen and inflammation. Joint pain is a very common symptom of menopause because estrogen is an anti-inflammatory. As estrogen levels drop, inflammatory "noise" increases. Many women have chronic inflammation which is kept under control by estrogen. But once that estrogen starts to disappear, inflammation starts to show its ugly face. And I think that is what is happening to me. I still need to get back to a weight lifting program to improve my shoulder strength, but I need to clean up my diet too. I have gotten away from my usually good habits. I have been eating too much processed carbohydrates and sugary treats and even red meat. Over the past week, I went to a big dinner with family, a wedding and a graduation party. Pasta, chips, cake, chocolate, beef, you get the idea. These foods all contribute to inflammation. So it is time to turn this around. Back to brown bagging lunch, fish, lots of greens and other vegetables, nuts and seeds, and soy. Time to cut down on meat, pasta, bagels, white foods. I know what to do, I just have to make the effort to make it happen. But I am beginning to realize that I have to do this if I am going to get through The Change without feeling like crap.

My shoulder is getting better. Now I have to clean up my nutrition and my habits, in order to eliminate the inflammatory buzz inside my body.

1 comment:

leslie said...

Great info to have. Once again, what we put into our bodies matters, right! And exercise as a way to justify eating like crap -- not a long-term solution to anything! I'd better learn this lesson -- and quick. Thanks for the info and I hope your shoulder is better soon!