The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Godfather

I had dinner with the Godfather. Sorta. I attended a corporate event held at a local restaurant. There was a dinner served buffet style, an open bar, and a band. The place was packed and my friends and I ended up sharing a table with some people we didn’t know. Including the Godfather. Just about everyone who came through the restaurant stopped at our table to pay their respects to him, to “chit-chat” about the past year, and perhaps to ask for some advice. They brought him drinks and food. He introduced himself as Uncle Frank. He asked us our names and where we are from and we exchanged business cards. He wanted to know what we are doing (professionally speaking) and offered us words of encouragement. Then he told us stories about being stationed in NYC during WW II, and the beautiful girl he never saw again. I’m not sure why he picked that story. But next year I’m going to stop by his table to say hello and reminisce about the BBQ ribs we shared in Anaheim.

No comments: