The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Road Trip

I usually attend 2 annual meetings of professional organizations to which I belong. They used to be in October and December. Then last year the December meeting was moved up tp October as well. Luckily, the 2 meetings were just a few days apart and in the same city! This year it worked out the same. So I am in California, first in Palm Springs. On Monday I will be heading to LA to spend a couple of days with a friend, then I will be in Anaheim for a meeting #2. So 10 days in California. I packed a big fat suitcase!

Palm Springs is beautiful. We are at a beautiful resort with a water park, swimming pools, and a decent fitness center. I am told it hasn't rained here in a year. The sun is shining and the temp goes up to the mid 90's in the afternoon. The company is great (this is my favorite meeting, featuring my favorite people) and there is some "play time" built into the schedule. Yesterday I floated down the lazy river with some friends for about an hour! then I worked out in the fitness center and went for a real swim. That's the good news. But the nutrition part is rough. The food is plentiful, and I don't always have the opportunity to eat what I want or when I want. There are desserts at every meal, and the "hospitality suite" features free booze. Luckily, I don't really drink. My friend says I'm a candy-ass ( I describe myself as having poorly developed social drinking skills).

I have decided not to worry about the food, but not go crazy either. I will eat "right" when given the choice, try not to eat too many desserts, keep the alcohol down to a socially acceptable minimum, and try to take advantage of the pool and the opportunity to be outdoors.

I miss my family, but I must admit, I like the "me" time. I'm not exactly alone, but I like having some time to focus inward. I don't have to think about taking care of other people. I don't really have to worry about taking care of myself either. I'm sure I will ge tired of the hotels, the forced conversations with people you don't know very well, and the "shop talk." But I'm looking forward to more time at the pool (and even sitting through some more lectures).

No comments: