The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Found My Pressure Cooker

Leslie has been raving about her new pressure cooker, so I decided to give it a try. I have a pressure cooker that my sister-in-law gave me, but I haven't used it in a long time. I had an electric stove and after burning just about everything I attempted to cook in it, I gave up. But I am now cooking with gas so I decided to try again. First I had to find it, which wasn't as easy as it should have been, but I found it and washed it out. Then I looked through my recipe files for something that sounded good. I made "Split Pea Sup with Sweet Potatoes and Mint." It totally rocks! This soup is delicious and perfect for this time of year. I put 3 lunch sized portions in the freezer and the rest is in the frig. And when I got to the bottom of the pressure cooker, there wasn't even one tiny morsel of burned food. It really was easy. Hmmm, I can see cooking soup once a week in the PC!
Here's the recipe. I have no idea where it came from, so I cannot give credit where credit is due. Oh well.

Split Peas Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Mint
2 Tb butter or oil
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
2 cups split peas rinsed
4 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
2 med sweet potatoes peeled and chunked
2 large apples, peeled cored and cut into eighths
1 bay leaf
2-3 Tb dried mint
1 tsp salt

Heat oil in cooker. Saute onion until soft. Add celery and split peas, stirring to coat with the oil. Add the water and stock. Scrape up any bits of onion that might be sticking to the bottom of the cooker. Add all the other ingredients.
Lock the lid in place and bring up to pressure. Cook for 10 minutes.
Let the pressure drop naturally (or run under cold water).

3 comments:

The Veggie Queen said...

Sounds really yummy. Just so people know, I use electric with my pressure cooker, and it's just fine.
Welcome to the wonderful world of pressure cooking. You can check out my website at http://www.pressurecookingonline.com and my blog at http://www.pressurecooking.blogspot.com.

Shelly said...

I think I was using inferior equipment. I now have a T-fal PC and I think that has made a big difference. Thanks VQ for letting everybody know that it can be done with an electric stove!

The Veggie Queen said...

Good equipment makes a world of difference. Happy to hear that you are now having fun pressure cooking.