The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, November 28, 2008

Pay it Forward

I posted a ride on the club ride board for today, the "After the Pumpkin Pie, Pay it Forward" ride. The "after the pumpkin pie" part is obvious, you know, burn off all the extra calories consumed yesterday in the name of being thankful. But I also made a unilateral decision that any miles ridden between Thanksgiving and December 31 can be logged as 2009 miles. That's the "pay it forward" part. I looked at this as an opportunity to get a head start on putting in the mileage to be a better cyclist in 2009. I actually had 4 people come out to join me on what turned out to be a really beautiful day. The temp was already 42 degrees when we headed out, and the sun was shining. Our group of 5 rode 28 miles, along the shores of the reservoirs and past the horse farms in the northern county. With a headband under my helmet, and fuzzy gloves and socks, I was very comfortable. You have to be more motivated to get out there, but once you get moving, its fine! I really enjoy riding through the seasons. I have learned to appreciate the beauty of the subdued landscape, the shades of brown against the blue water, and the softer light of a sun that never rises very high in the sky. It was great day to be on a bike and I am thankful that a few other hearty riders came out to share the day with me. This is the winter pre-season at its best!

No comments: