The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rock My World


I bought myself 2 "holiday gifts" (This works well because my family is relieved of the responsibility of figuring out what I might want to receive as a gift). The first self-gift is an 18 ounce pink stainless steel water bottle. It is perfect. It fits in the mesh pocket on my backpack and accompanies me on my daily travels -- commuting into NYC, various meetings and other work-related activities, driving around suburbia. I may have to give my pink companion a name!

The second self-gift is a waterproof "otterbox" for my Nano and waterproof headphones. The idea is to be able to listen to music while swimming. I used it last night for the first time and I have to tell you, it TOTALLY ROCKS. It took about 10 minutes to get it right-- to get the headphones positioned to create a waterproof seal and to get the volume right. But I'm sure it will be easier the next time I use it. But it is very comfortable, including having the ipod clipped to the side/back of my bathing suit and the sound quality, while not great, is good enough. I absolutely spent more time in the water because how can you turn off your ipod when you are listening to ultra classic rock like the Grateful Dead's Bertha or Springsteen's Born to Run. Or even new music like Ray LaMontagne. I just fell into my freestyle rhythm and kept on swimming propelled by my tunes. It felt awesome to be moving through the water.

So I am doing much better with my workouts in this Winter Pre-Season, but the holiday parties are wreaking havoc on my nutrition. Why is it so difficult to get all the pieces working simultaneously? I have also been making an effort to spend more time with DH and other people I love and cherish. We had dinner with some dear friends last weekend and tomorrow I am hosting a pot luck holiday dinner for my bookclub and our spouses. The bike club holiday party was Sunday and it was a good time. I hope to bring the feelings of love, friendship, and community into the new year.

No comments: