The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Listening to the Heat at 3 am

It was another ordinary day today. Went to work, ate some food, took some photos, went to the gym. When I got home, I noticed that the house was a bit colder than usual. 56 degrees, read the thermostat. Not good. Went down to the basement, stared at the furnace, pushed the red reset button, and when nothing happened, called the oil company. A technician arrived within an hour. He checked this, and that, and the other thing, and everything seemed fine. So then he checked the oil tank. And there was none. Well, none is a harsh word, but not enough oil to get the heating system to function. Not sure how that happened, but now its about 11 pm and I'm in a suburban home without heat. I could have used a lifeline, phoned a friend and gone over to her warm and toasty house for the night. But I decided to tough it out. The basement was a few degrees warmer so I got a bunch of blankets, put on a sweatshirt, and built myself a snuggly cocoon on the couch. I watched some reruns on TV, and finally went to sleep around midnight. The phone woke me, the oil company. The oil truck was on my street but didn't know which house was mine, could I please turn on the porch light for the driver. When I got upstairs I realized it was not quite 3:00. I expected to have to call the oil company at 7 a.m. and that I would get a delivery at around noon. And I was OK with that. I guess the oil company takes the issue of customers without heat in the dead of winter very seriously, and I guess this is a good thing. They don't call it the "dead of winter" for no reason. So now at 3 a.m., I am blogging and listening to the gentle pinging of the heat rising. The air is losing its sharpness, getting softer, and my hands are getting warmer. I am feeling the warm glow of oil from a foregn land filling my home. It makes me wonder, how different will it be when all the oil is gone.

No comments: