The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pumpkin Soup

I am participating in The Nourishing Gourmet's Nourishing Soups and Stews Carnival.
Here is my recipe for Pumpkin Soup, from Emeril Lagasse.

4 lbs pumpkin , peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tsp salt
2 Tb unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onions
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp sugar
8 cups chicken broth
2 Tb smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice

1. Put the pumpkin in a large saucepan, cover with water, add 1 tsp salt. Boil and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.

2. Drain, cool, and mash. You should have about 4 cups of pumpkin.

3. In large heavy pot, melt the butter. Add the onions, bay leaves, remaining 1 tsp salt, white pepper and sugar. Cook, stirring until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.

4. Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, and peanut butter (Emeril's secret ingredient). Stir and bring to a boil.

5. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the soup coats a spoon, about 1 hr 15 min.

6. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Remove and discard bay leaves. Serve hot in soup bowls.

NOTES: I usually make this soup using pumpkin that I have roasted and frozen. Sometimes I throw in an acorn squash too, if I happen to have one. I also use my immersion blender to make it smooth and creamy.

2 comments:

Trying Traditional said...

We had this for lunch today and it was wonderful! Very tasty, nourishing, and easy to make.

I happened to have pumpkin thawed in the fridge and was looking for a good way to use it up besides sweets. I might have cooked it a little too long as I had to add some cream to get it more of a soup consistency.

This makes enough to serve 6 adults easily. I plan on reducing the leftovers some to use as a sauce on some spaghetti squash and shredded zuchini I have that needs used up.

Shelly said...

wow, so glad you enjoyed it. Making it into a sauce is a great idea, too.