The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Time Flies When You're Battling Inflammation

Wow, has it really been 6 weeks since I've posted anything! It was about 6 weeks ago that I started having pain and discomfort in my right shoulder and arm. It became more of an issue when I was swimming, so I decided I needed to take a break and rest my shoulder. That's when it actually got MUCH worse, to the point where I could not straighten my arm without significant pain. I couldn't even ride my bike because I couldn't adequately shift or use the breaks. I went to see my doctor who prescribed an anti-inflammatory med and did some bloodwork to rule out autoimmune/inflammatory disease. Happily, the pain started to subside about 1 hour after taking the first pill. After 5 or 6 days I was back where I started, with pain and discomfort, not very severe but fairly constant and fear of getting back in the pool. After a few more weeks of total rest it was very clear that total rest was not the solution, so today I saw the orthopod. The diagnosis is calcific burstitis and the treatment is a cortisone injection. Injection? Like big needle...... in my shoulder? Now? I am such a sissy when it comes to needles. Luckily, I didn't really have time to think about it. I asked a few questions, the nurse cleaned up my shoulder and then it was done! Now I have to rest my arm/shoulder for another 3 weeks, so no weight lifting or swimming (he said that twice and the second time he added "definitely" no swimming). So I have a 3 week prescription for dialing it back. I have been on my bike and I will continue to ride and that's all good. Now I am kicking myself for not going to see an orthopedist sooner. But hopefully in 3 weeks I will be on my way to a recovery and back in the pool.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

hey-i'm so glad you can get back on the bike and you are feeling some relief. keeping feeing better. have a great start to the summer.