The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Back Door

On Wednesdays I usually work a half day. Sometimes I get stuck at work but today I made it a point to be on the 1:50 train. In the late afternoon, I opened my back door and headed out for a ride. It wasn't a very nice day; damp, cool, dreary, but at least it wasn't raining. So off I went. DH and I both feel lucky to live in a place where we can just open the back door and go for a ride or a run or a walk. The roads are scenic and not overly congested. We can ride 11 miles or 40 miles (or 111 if we really wanted to). Although we can't ride flat roads, we can make it more or less challenging by adding or deleting significant climbs. We often build a ride on the fly, making decisions when we get to the turn. Today as I headed out DH asked me where I was going and i said "I don't know" because I really didn't know. I can ride along the reservoirs and over the dam, or north on the bike path to Starbucks or the bagel shop. I can ride along the river and look for hawks and herons. Today I rode 16 miles, much of it along the reservoirs. I dialed back the hills a bit, but made sure to include my favorite roller coaster road. I was feeling a bit like the weather, dreary, before I left, and I almost found an excuse not to go. But I got my act together and headed out my back door, and I'm glad I did!

No comments: