The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, July 10, 2009

Indoors and Outdoors

On Thursday I didn't feel like hanging around until 7:30 for Masters Swim, so I decided to do something I haven't done in months-- I took a spin class. During the Tour de France, all the spin classes at my gym "mimic" the tour. Thursday's wasn't a mountain stage but it was mostly uphill with sprints on the flats to break away from the peloton. It was fun for a change and I had the opportunity to make some observations.
1. Jacques-- the instructor-- ooh lala! how do you say eye candy in French?
2. I am much more comfortable on my road bike (sweet Dolce, you rock!)than on the spin bike.
3. Riding over 900 miles so far this season has payed off. I was working hard and my heart rate was relatively low. I really had to kick it up 2 or 3 notches to get my heart rate into the strength zone. And as soon as I laid off, my heart rate came down very quickly. Seems I am in good shape, aerobically (then why is swimming 25 yards a killer?).

On Friday I somehow managed to pull this off-- it took some real planning but I didn't forget anything or leave anything behind, so I got it right. I had to get my car inspected, so I threw my bike in the car, dropped off the car, rode to the gym, let my personal trainer beat me up, then I went for a nice ride. Even though I tried to keep it relatively flat, it seems like I did an awful lot of climbing. But if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger. I stopped for a lovely lunch and took some photos along the way. When my car was ready, I made my way back, picked up my car, picked up whatever I had left at the gym, and drove my newly inspected car home. Then I ran a few errands and got ready to go to a wedding! More about that later.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

ooh la la! that is hilarious! i feel less badly about objectifying men now.... :) Actually, it's not really objectifying so much as APPRECIATING! I mean, he's a spin instructor! He works hard for it!!