The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Running Within

When I went to bike camp, we talked about "climbing within." You can't follow someone else up the hill, you have to do it yourself, find the gear and the pace that works for you. And sometimes you have to find your inner strength to take you to the top. Today I went running, and for whatever reason, I found the gear and the pace that worked for me and when I decided I was going to run another mile (to make it 4), I found the inner strength to get it done! I find running to be tough, mostly physically but also mentally. But today everything seemed to come together and I felt great. It was still tough, but I didn't seem to mind. I was running within instead of pounding the pavement and running around in circles (I was at the track). I wish I could figure out what came together to create this so I could potentially replicate it, but I think there was probably something that cannot be identified. But here are some of the parameters that did contribute to this experience-
It was about 7 pm, the sky was cloudy and it had cooled down into the 70s.
I was rested; hadn't worked out over the last 4 days.
I wasn't at all hungry (not sure why, I probably should have been).
The iPod-- I let the music take me and it kept me going.

Last week I had a conversation with Dave, someone I don't know very well (at last not yet). Dave loves music. He is single and he remarked that he finds it difficult to meet women who are "into music." I was astonished. I can't imagine not having music in my life. And I certainly can't imagine running without music. This evening the music and the running came together within me and carried me for 4 miles. I may be hurting tomorrow, but it will be worth it.

No comments: