The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, August 15, 2009

100 K

I did it, I rode 62 miles, my first metric century. I did it as a club ride, and 13 people showed up. The riders included Marty, a club veteran, a man in his 70s who loves long rides and knows the roads very well; Kas who never says no and is always willing to help out any way he can; Richard and his 12 year old son, Gabriel. Gabe and I both completed our first metric century. I wanted to get a photo of the 2 of us, but he and his father stopped for an ice cream cone pick-me-up and finished a little bit later than the rest of us.

Our adventure began at 8 am with some significant fog. I knew it would burn off, but fog that thick can be a safety issue. Kas has a good blinkie on his bike and he graciously agreed to ride at the back so cars pulling up would see his blinkie thingy and then see us (gotta get me some blinkies). By 9 am the fog was gone, and the sun was upon us. Most of the ride was shaded, but there were some stretches where we absolutley roasted. It was approaching 90 degrees when we finished. The last few miles were really tough. I really felt all used up. This wasn't an especially hilly ride, but those last few hills, as small as they were, felt like mountains. When we were all done and packed up our bikes and gear, Kas treated me to a Coolata. When I got home, I got all clenaed up and then spent a few hours in front of the TV. I was asleep by 10:00. I don;t know if I could have squeezed out another 40 miles. The idea of a full century is still a bit intimidating..... but it's good to have a goal.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

congratulations!!!! that's awesome! :)