The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Call Mom Now

On Thursday night I went to a wake for my friend’s mom. She was 88 years old and reminded me of my grandmother. Both were thoughtful and vibrant until their final days. A few days before her mom died, when it was obvious that she was going to lose her, my friend told me how she was losing, not only her mother but her best friend. She was really struggling with letting her go and making decisions about her mother’s medical care, but knew in her heart that there was no choice. My mom will turn 80 this fall. She lives in Florida and I live in NY. We usually talk about once a week, sometimes more sometimes less. I think of my mom often, but I don’t call her often enough. It’s me, not her. We have always had a wonderful relationship and though I still have 1 or 2 secrets, I don’t consciously hold back. I just don’t like talking on the telephone. But that’s an incredibly lame excuse for not calling. What about you? Call your mom right now.

No comments: