The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

21 Years

Son #1 is celebrating his 21st birthday today. Most of my thoughts have been about him, and the man that he has become. There is also that sense of time slipping away, how can it possibly be 21 years since he was born. Then DH called me and we talked about our memories of his birth and what it meant for us, to become a family of 3. Then he had to throw in, “you were in really bad shape for a few days.” Yes I was, physically, but from my perspective, that was such a minor detail in the grand scheme. I have never been one to whine or complain, I am definitely more of a warrior, so there was no way a C-section was going to keep me down. But I do remember The Chair.

The day after my C-section, the nurse came into my room and announced that I was going to sit up and get out of bed. But first they gave me 2 Percosets and waited an hour for them to “kick in.” Two nurses helped me sit up and then helped me move into a chair. It felt like every muscle in my body was connected to my abdomen, including my fingers, toes and eyelids. Any movement of any part of my body hurt. There was no way I was getting back into that bed until it was time to go to sleep because I wasn’t going to get out of that bed again. So I sat in The Chair for about 12 hours. It wasn’t a very comfortable chair, but I considered the options and stayed put. The nurses made several offers to help me get back into bed. No way. I sat in The Chair. I don’t remember what the next day was like, but I do remember everyday was much better than the day before...... until my Milk Came In. But let’s not go there. I remember DH and I standing over his crib and thinking, “he’s so tiny, he’ll never outgrow this crib.” And now he has pretty much outgrown our house, in addition to the crib. There have been so many moments of wonder and joy (and fear), and I know there are many more to come.

No comments: