The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Swim Bike Walk Strength Yoga

Back in 2008, when I registered for my first triathlon in 21 years, I started researching triathlon training programs. I checked books out of the library, and I was all over the web. That lasted a week or two. I decided I didn’t need to box myself into a training program. Training wasn’t going to make me much faster, especially in a sprint. My goal was to complete the race with greater ease and comfort. To achieve that goal, I just started swimming, biking and running. There were no magic formulas or mileage goals. I looked a the resources I had available, worked with those, and then filled in the missing pieces. I had workouts with the Masters Swim Team and club bike rides. I continued a strength program, working with a trainer once a week. What evolved is a 4 piece program – Swim/Bike/Run/Strength – but the 4 pieces are fluid and flexible. In 2008, the triathlon became my motivation for staying with it and to challenge myself to take it a little bit further. In 2009, my goal was to ride my first century. The 4 piece program stayed the same – Swim/Bike/Run/Strength – but the balance shifted toward more bike miles. And now in 2010, I have registered for a half marathon in late April and a sprint tri in early June. Run will morph into Walk, and I would like to add Yoga to the blend. Swim/Bike/Walk/Strength/Yoga. Once again, I have to find a way to balance all the pieces and not create a regimen. Boxing myself into something I can’t live with would be worse than a DNF. That’s the plan, put swim, bike, walk, strength and yoga in a mixing bowl, put in a little more of this and a little less of that, blend it all together and cook up a half marathon, a sprint tri and maybe another century ride.

No comments: