The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, December 27, 2009

These Boots Are Made for Walking


A couple of years ago, I bought myself a pair of low-rise hiking boots. I then never wore them. I just realized I felt more secure with my regular hiking boots. If a trail is at all rocky, I appreciated the support for my ankles. My hiking boots are very comfortable, so there is no reason NOT to wear them. Until now.... I have found the perfect terrain for my low-rise hikers.
The Rockefeller State Preserve (better known to us locals as The Rockies) in Sleepy Hollow is 1,200+ acres deeded to New York State by the Rockefellers. It features 20 miles of carriage trails. The trails are much easier on your feet than roads, and being off the roads means I can put on my iPod without worrying. You don't need hiking boots for these trails, sneakers are fine, but they do get wet and muddy, so trail shoes or light hikers are ideal. On weekends, there are always people around, so I feel safe, but the place is so huge that it never feels crowded. I'm starting to love this place!
Today was a gift.... a December Sunday with temps into the 50s and bright sunshine. I wanted to go for a bike ride, but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to ride with me, so instead of riding alone, I opted for 2 hours of trails at the Rockies. I didn't even need a hat! I didn't push the speed today, just trying to get my feet accustomed to some serious mileage. And when I was done, I got to go to a party and EAT!


1 comment:

Jon said...

can you run on all of the trails?