The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cooking

Thursday is my day off, and I had to hang around the house waiting for the kitchen dude (we are going to do some kitchen upgrades), so I decided to do some cooking. I bought a nice piece of wild caught scrod and prepared crunchy fish. The nice thing about crunchy fish is that you can use up vegetables that you have on hand.

Take a piece of firm white fish, like scrod, about 1.5 lb and place it on an oiled baking dish. Season with lemon juice and pepper. Place tomato slices on the fish and then sprinkle with chopped veggies-- onions, peppers, zucchini, snow peas, carrots-- whatever you have.
Combine 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs, 1 tsp dried basil, 2 Tb oil. Spread the crumb mix over the fish. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25 minutes.

I only had cherry tomatoes so I sliced them up with some scallions and cilantro, and instead of using raw veggies, I used some leftover grilled veggies. A 1 lb piece of fish was perfect for DH, son #1, and me. It was super delicious.

I also roasted some root vegetables-- sweet potatoes, beets, and parsnips. Couldn't be easier-- cut them into chunks, toss with some olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, move them around the tray after about 20 minutes. I sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar on them when they are all cooked. They were sweet and delicious, gonna have yummy leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

DH and I both love fish but we are trying not to eat farmed fish because of environmental consequences of fish farming as well as the inferior nutritional quality. Wild caught fish is fairly expensive, so we no longer eat fish once a week. Tonight's dinner was a real treat! Although I don't think I want to go all the way back to a vegetarian diet, I'm trying to be more conscious of eating less meat and eating better food. Today's cooking was a good step in that direction.

No comments: