The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cramming and Cooking

I feel like I am cramming for the Pawling Triathlon, which is less than 2 weeks away. For a variety of reasons, I did not prepare with the intensity or the consistency that would allow me to feel like I gave it my best shot. So I have been trying to make up for it with weekend bursts of high energy and weekday workouts whenever I can make it happen. But still, life gets in the way. On Saturday, DH and I attended a bar mitzvah, which kept us out of the house from 9 am until 5 pm. Somehow, I managed to avoid overeating. When I got home, I decided I had to do something, anything other than spend the evening sitting in a chair. Eight hours of that was more than enough. So I went to the track for a run. And it was a good run. It was only 2.5 miles, but it felt good and I knew I had overcome considerable inertia to get there.

On Sunday I did another brick. The ride was slow but uneventful. The run was also slow and uneventful. The fact that the run was uneventful is actually an event, because I was able to run 2 days in a row despite Cranky Knee Syndrome. Although you won’t find that diagnosis in the orthopedic Big Book of Medical Codes, you probably will find the treatment plan-- don’t overdue it, ice, Advil. Well, on Sunday evening my legs including my knees were tired, but they were fine the next day. I will fit in some workouts in the next 10 days but it will be hit or miss. DH and I are going to Florida over the holiday weekend to attend at Bat Mitzvah and visit family. I guess I will do some swimming.

When not cramming for the triathlon, I have been cooking. I work at a small college and every year the students hold an auction to raise money for the yearbook, etc. They ask for donations of “goods and services,” and every year I donate homemade lunch for 2 for 5 days. I make sure I feed my students well, which forces me to cook and DH and I also end up eating good nutritious meals. Last week I made grilled shrimp with mango salsa, lasagna, spinach salad, split pea soup, and berry bread pudding. This week I made roast pork with roasted red potatoes, ramen slaw, vegetable frittata, edamame succotash, and slightly spicy mashed sweet potatoes. All this good food has translated into not eating or craving processed food, and I feel more energetic. It really does make a difference. I needed this reminder that taking the time to prepare meals based on fresh foods and lots of vegetables is worth it. Now if I can just get out of cramming and work on consistency............

Finally a big SHOUT OUT to MissFits Kate and Flori. They both WON their age groups at the Harryman Triathlon on Saturday. And kudos to Jon who rocked it too, on his way to Mooseman.

1 comment:

Jon said...

You will be ready for Pauling. You know it!

Thanks for the shout out. Any chance I can steal the spicy mashed sweet potato recipe?

Also, thanks for the Lunabar recipe link. Its a gold mine and I had fun @ the grocery tonight :)