The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Its All About Balance

After swimming a mile yesterday, I felt good. I found my own slow rhythm and it felt easy. I felt like I could have kept going, but that’s not too surprising since I usually swim further and harder during Masters workouts. But that got me thinking about balancing speed and distance during a triathlon. How much should I push the speed if I am only swimming 1/3 mile? But when I get out of the water, there’s still the bike ride and the run. I need to think about balancing effort for all 3 events. Then I thought about something Hagen said during our triathlon panel discussion. If you want to race fast, you have to train fast. How do you balance speed v. distance when training. Of course, its not only swimming, biking and running. At the very least there needs to be some strength work and stretching and yoga. So how do you blend all the pieces into a complete fitness program? Should I balance all the pieces differently during the off-season? All of this does take time, and I like to do other things, like reading, blogging, watching TV, photography. How do you balance all these pursuits into a day/week/month/year/lifetime? And food. That’s a big one. How do you balance all these other activities and still have time to shop, and cook and prepare meals. Because if you don’t, you are still going to get hungry and make bad food choices. Then there’s the job. And commuting. I can use some of the commuting time to work on some of my other favorite activities. But work is work and my job is fairly rigid so I have to balance all the other pieces outside of that box. I haven’t really mentioned interacting with other people like my family and friends when they can’t be combined in these other activities. Although I am my favorite person to be with, there has to be time for hanging with the people I love. Tomorrow DH and I are going to Florida to find balance. We will be attending a bat mitzvah and visiting with family. We will probably find the time to do some swimming and maybe some running. We will probably eat too much but it will be for a good reason. We won’t think about work for a few days, and we will spend time being with family we haven’t seen in a long time. I’m really looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Dear Shelly,
If only someone could find the answer to the question of BALANCE. I seem to find it impossible to strike the correct balance between work, family, training, pleasure, etc... My yoga teacher once told our class (while doing tree pose) that we shouldn't be embarrassed to wobble, shake or tip over. That balance is a continual work in progress, nothing that we can firmly achieve and then relax. Balance, she said, "is steadily hard work and takes plenty of focus. And falling flat on your face is a part of it sometimes." I think it was a lesson for life.

Sounds like a fun weekend. Enjoy your time with family and friends and I hope you'll have plenty of sunshine!