The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, June 05, 2010

A Fight to the Finish--Pawling Traithlon


Today was the Pawling Triathlon, and I finished, but it was a tough one, from start to finish. I know I should be incredibly proud of what I did today, and I guess I am, but I must admit I am also a little disappointed. I know I could have been better prepared, but it just felt too hard, from beginning to end.
I really struggled with the swim. I couldn't get a rhythm going, I swallowed a bunch of water, and I found myself in a downward spiral of negative thinking..... and this is like 5 minutes into the race! I can't do this. I shouldn't be here. That buoy is so far away. I can barely breathe in this wetsuit. I realized that swimming real slow would be much better than whatever it was that I was doing (which was sucking up gobs of energy), so I forced myself into a very slow rhythm and I started to feel much better. The second half of the swim was much easier.
The bike ride was fine, except ridiculously slow.
The run was tough. I really struggled to keep moving. I couldn't slow down because then I would have been moving backwards. Somehow I got through it. I probably set a PR for my slowest 3 miles.
I made it to the finish line, and there was DH with the camera. Just to add insult to injury, he took a picture of me finishing FROM THE BACK. Just what I needed-- a picture of my ass crossing the finish line. You won't see that one on this blog.

After the race, I had 2 voices in my head. Voice #1: you suck! It's supposed to be a sprint--how can you be that slow? Voice #2: you are awesome! you just finished a triathlon. How many women your age can finish even 1 of the 3 events that you did today? why are you beating yourself up for being slow? But I soon realized its not the slow part that is bothering me-- its that it felt so hard!! Slow is supposed to be beautiful, and this one was kinda ugly.

Having fallen off my horse today, I decided I need to get back on. So I signed up for another sprint triathlon on July 11. What do I need to to do to get ready? I need to do a few open water swims, I need to ride harder, and I need to do a few more bricks. Onward and upward.

4 comments:

Audrey said...

congratulations!!! i predict good things in July as well once you get a few more weeks of good weather training under your belt!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I'm sorry your race didn't go as well as you would have liked. But, you pushed through and finished! Woohoo!

I think you should listen to voice #2, because you did do awesome and you did something that most people only dream of doing! So, don't be too hard on yourself. We all have bad days and races.

I think it's awesome that you signed up for another race in July! You are going to kick butt! :)

Jon said...

Way to tough it out Shelly! Go with voice #2....its nicer and speaks the truth. Which race are you looking @ for July 11th?

Lucy said...

Listen to voice 2 - it's great that you finished, you made it through and that itself is a massive achievement. You could have given up but you soldiered on - go you!

Perhaps to give yourself a bit more confidence, get in the pool and spend some time focusing on your swimming skills - not necessarily endurance or pace, but skill, and in race conditions that might give you a lift to power ahead with that element of the swim.

Good luck for your next race - you'll do great.