The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Nosocomial Car Infection

A nosocomial infection is an infection that results from treatment in a hospital or other health care setting. Take a patient, free of infectious disease, stick him/her in the hospital for a couple of days, and the patient comes down with a bad bug which makes the patient sicker than when they entered the hospital. That's what happened to my Subaru. I took it to the dealer for a minor recall and an inspection. There was nothing wrong with the car. When I picked it up, the "check engine" light was flashing. Of course I picked it up after hours on Friday evening and I was not able to talk to anyone in the service department until Monday morning. I was told by the service agent, "OMG!! Do NOT drive the vehicle!! Go home immediately!! Where are you? How far away are you? Do you need a tow truck??!!" Translation: DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!
I didn't have the heart to tell him that I had been driving it all weekend because one of their nosocomial infecting technicians forgot to hit the reset button, or something equally ridiculous. I bet you didn't know that I am capable of providing automotive diagnoses and treatment plans for Japanese-born vehicles.
So this afternoon I have to bring the nosocomial infected Subaru back to the dealer for what I hope will be a very short visit so they can disinfect it. And of course, that is the time that I had planned to work out. I'm still on the merry-go-round of an ordinary life.

No comments: