The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Shift

My Road to Recovery has made a paradigm shift. Instead of thinking about what I cannot do, I am now focusing on what I can do. The shift started in the gym a few days ago, with 30 minutes on the elliptical to see what would happen when I raised my heart rate. Neither my heart nor my head exploded, I stayed upright, and I felt good if not great. The next day I took a spin class with similar results, except that I felt great! After 4 weeks of no exercise I did notice that my heart rate did not recover as quickly as I would like, but I am sure that will come back with a little effort. But I felt comfortable enough to contemplate getting back on my bike this week. Now about getting back on my bike, many people have asked me if I am afraid to get back on my bike, especially since it has been 4 weeks since my crash. The answer is I don’t think so, but the truth is I really haven’t had to answer that question truthfully because I cannot even consider getting back on my bike until all the dizziness is completely gone. In the last few days I seem to have turned that corner, and if the dizziness does not return, then I plan to get back on my bike this weekend. But here’s the shift part. Even if I cannot get back on my bike (whether it’s physical or mental), there is so much that I can do to get back in the game. I am going to start lifting again, and throwing in an assortment of cardio, etc. I have shifted out of couch potato into active lifestyle person of great worth. I have also discovered that once I made that shift, turned off the TV and packed my gym bag, I also started thinking more about good food. The good karma is cascading! It will take more time to get back to where I was, but I’m on my way.

1 comment:

RockStarTri said...

The good karma is cascading!

Sounds like you are getting to a good place mentally. The physical recovery will happen when it happens but it sounds like you are just about ready.

Enjoy your ride this weekend. I feel you will!