The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, August 23, 2010

Recalibration

My 2010 “racing season” is over. I am not sure that it really involved any “racing” or that I would call it a “season” anyway. The reason I enter these races is to have a goal to work towards, to push myself to stay in shape. If I have a “race” on my schedule, I then have a “training program,” and I am less likely to find excuses to go home and sit on the couch. I am incredibly slow in any athletic event I have ever undertaken, so I usually think about “participating” in these events and not racing or competing. With no competitive events on the horizon, I have been spending time doing what I love to do – riding my bike -- without regard to mileage or speed. I have been emancipated! This has me rethinking my whole "fitness" philosophy. Perhaps it is time to recalibrate. How can I keep myself motivated to maintain an athletic lifestyle? do I need an event to keep moving forward? what if training starts to feel more like medicine than fun? While I think this through, I will continue to spend time on my bike and smile! I might even take a few pictures along the way.



No comments: