The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, October 04, 2010

Flip Flop Seasons

Although I may not have realized it at the time, my crash back in June initiated my off-season. I did nothing or almost nothing related to fitness for 5 weeks. Over the last 2 months I have been consistently inconsistent. That has made it very difficult to get anywhere other than where I am, which is fat and slow. I now understand why it is important to build that mileage base-- it becomes the fuel or a reserve tank that you can draw upon when you need to push yourself to go further or harder. Without that base, I am finding it difficult to keep up with my cycling friends on rides longer than 30 miles. Sad, considering last year I rode the RI Century in September.

Without a specific goal, I often find it difficult to motivate myself to stay with "the program." I'm also having a tough time on identifying a goal other than getting back to where I was and keep moving forward. I do know I have to turn it up a notch, and so my seasons have flip-flopped. October 1 marked the beginning of my off-season in-season. For the next 8 weeks, I am going to focus on getting back to those good basic habits. I also hope to stay outside as much as possible, stretching the cycling season, especially since I missed out on a big chunk of it. Its what I enjoy the most, even though I feel really slow. Somebody has to be last, and lately that is me.

No comments: