The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, December 03, 2010

Brought To My Knees

About a month ago, I went for a beautiful bike ride with some friends. We rode about 30 miles, then we had lunch at this very fancy garden/interior design center. Very funky. They set up a big table for us in the greenhouse. A few people couldn't ride but they met up with us for lunch. Lynne was one of them. We had a wonderful time, just talking and looking around at the beautiful plants and flowers and art. We were all sharing stories, laughing, and just enjoying the afternoon. I felt so alive, so connected to the world, after spending the morning rolling up and down the hills on my bike and then shmoozing with this wonderful family of friends.

On Tuesday afternoon, Lynne took her life, jumping off the Tappen Zee bridge. No one saw it coming, no one knew she was in this dark place, so dark that she couldn't see any light and chose to end all the pain. We have been brought to our knees, wondering how we could have missed it, why didn't she ask for help......... so many questions for which there are no answers.

I called my children and told them I loved them. I called my mom to tell her I love her. I gave my husband a big hug and a kiss. I love my life and the people that surround me. I am so grateful for everything.

Rest in peace, Lynne.


6 comments:

Jon said...

That is aweful! I read about a jump on lohud.com....had no idea that anyone I would know would know the woman.

So sad...

Thoughts are going out to her family.

RockStarTri said...

Sorry, so sad. Rest in peace, Lynne.

smartwool said...

Sorry to hear that..so sad..

Becca said...

Such a shock to hear -- esp after your exhilarating day before! After all of your "what if" questions are asked, hopefully you can cherish the memories of your friend in your grief. So sorry for your loss.

Buttons said...

I am so sorry for your friend and also for your loss. The day before is the memory you should remember. My sister committed suicide you never know. I thought she was happy. I guess we never really know anyone.The darkness can be hidden very well. So sorry.

Shelly said...

Thank you all for your thoughts. And yes, Buttons, my friends and I remember the good times, the bright sunlight instead of the darkness.