The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

In Search of Endorphins

I am looking forward to the end of 2010. I feel like I have been marching in place for the past 6 months, ever since my bike crash. A body at rest tends to stay at rest. I have really been struggling to get moving, and have had little motivation to do much of anything. I have come up with some wonderful excuses for why I can't do this or that. Enough. I have been thinking about it and trying to find "something" to get my engine into gear. Do I need another triathlon or other event on my calendar? What about getting rid of the extra 10 pounds The Change has brought? And yes, while I want these things to happen, the bottom line is I just need to be healthy. I know what I have to do and I know that if I do it, I will feel better, look better and be happier. I need those endorphins! That's my goal for 2011, to flood myself with endorphins by getting all the pieces to fall into place. I found this on this website: The journey is all. The destination is beside the point.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I will share that my bike accident in 2008 changed everything for me and I still struggle with being comfortable on the bike. (My first time back biking was in a race and I cried while I raced and to this day I still curse when I go down steep downhills). I'm a mess!

My boyfriend recently forwarded me this NY Times article about how people hurt in bike accidents are more scared to get back to their sport than people hurt from running, for example.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/nutrition/30best.html

Reading the article helped me stop feeling guilty for being "a wuss"- as i saw myself. It helped me see my hesitance as a normal feeling rather than some flaw that i had.

Anyway, all the best to you in 2011whichever sports you embrace!! And I know how much you love biking-i hope it treats you well in 2011!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...the link didn't post in its entirety. I think it's too long.

It's a New York Times article entitled: Fell Off My Bike, And Vowed Never to Get Back On.

Shelly said...

Thank you both for the link to the article. One of my colleagues left it for me when it was published. Yea, it was tough getting back on my bike, and I still hold back when going downhill. Now I need to get the rest of the pieces to come together. I'm working on it!