The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, December 18, 2010

On My Mind


My boys are home from college. That means buying and preparing large quantities of food. Often their friends are in the house as well. I love having my children home and I love seeing their friends. My secret (its really not a secret) to keeping them and their friends coming through the house is to feed them well! So I have been spending more time in the kitchen, cooking and cleaning up. The boys are pretty good about helping with the clean up part too. Today I made 2 large trays of ziti, tomorrow it will be ribs and a couple of chickens. I try to freeze portions, so I can send them back to school with good home-cooked meals.

Since they left for college, I appreciate the holidays more when we can spend time together. I love preparing a dinner so we can all sit down around the table and share that time together. It's the simple things that bring so much happiness.



2 comments:

Mary said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. How many times have we heard people talk about having a special meal at someone's house! Home cooked food simply says LOVE.

Happy Holidays to you.

Becca said...

Hello Shelly! I'll be doing the same in about a month's time as my first-born starts university at the end of Jan and will be living in student "digs". He loves to cook, but won't have the time, what with starting a difficult B Sc Engineering degree. So for a healthy alternative from instant noodles and peanut butter sandwiches, I'll be doubling up on pasta & casserole dishes....I also posted on your sobering 03/12 entry.