The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, December 31, 2010

Shout Out to the Huskies

The UConn Huskies Women's Basketball Team lost to Stanford last night, ending their winning streak at 90 games. The last game they lost was to Stanford in the NCAA Finals, on April 6, 2008. And so, Stanford has become the "bookends" of their record-breaking win streak.
Their 89th win broke the record for consecutive wins in Division I Basketball. For a few moments, the sports world focused on women's sports, largely because they broke the record that had been set by a men's team. Their amazing feat was the result of hard work, perseverance, great coaching, and of course, talent. And Title IX. The 1972 law forbids discrimination in funding of athletic programs in public schools. Since then, there has been a tenfold increase in the number of girls playing high school sports. The number of women athletes receiving college scholarships has increased dramatically. I love to see girls and women involved in sports, being athletic and strong. It wasn't that way when I was growing up, and I think women of my generation reflect that in their overall health and fitness and their attitudes.
Maya Moore and her teammates inspire me to work harder and do more, and not only at the gym. I hope they inspire many more girls and women to reach higher, in sports and in life.

No comments: