The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Clean Part 1

DH and I both read this story in Outside Magazine about Dr. Alejandro Junger's Detox Program. My husband bought and read the book, and decided that he is going to do the total 28 day detox/cleanse program, starting tomorrow. I am reading the book and have not decided if I am doing the whole thing, but I have decided to embark on the elimination diet for at least 1 week. At that point, I may stay on the elimination diet for another 2 weeks, or dive into the 3 week cleanse/detox program with DH.
I do believe in the basic premise underlying Junger's detox program. We are surrounded by toxins in our environment-- pesticides, plastics, air pollutants, pharmaceuticals, cleaning products. Add to that the preservatives, sugar, alcohol and nutrient depleted foods that we eat, and the result is a shell-shocked immune system, a leaky gut, chronic inflammation, and an inability to rid our bodies of all these toxins. The symptoms range from irritable bowels to depression to fatigue. I won't delineate them here, but I definitely have symptoms that can be attributed to chronic inflammation. I also want to support DH through this as much as possible, so I'm ready to jump in with at least 1 foot if not both feet!
The first step in the process of resetting your body's ability to heal itself is elimination of foods that are more problematic and/or more likely to cause allergic responses. So starting tomorrow, DH and I will be eliminating these foods from our diets:
FRUITS: oranges, grapefruits, bananas, strawberries
DAIRY: eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese
GRAINS: wheat, corn, barley, couscous, oats
ANIMAL PROTEIN: pork, beef, veal, shellfish
VEGETABLE PROTEIN: all soy
NUTS AND SEEDS: peanuts, peanut butter
VEGETABLES: corn, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant
OILS: butter, mayonnaise, canola oil
DRINKS: alcohol, coffee, caffeinated beverages, soda
SWEETENERS: refined sugar, honey, maple syrup, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners
CONDIMENTS: ketchup, relish, soy sauce, BBQ sauce, relish

What can we eat? Well, more about that in the days to come. DH is going shopping today and I will clean out the pantry this evening. I think I'm going to need a fairly large box for all the foods we cannot eat!

No comments: