The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, January 17, 2011

Yoga

I don't think you can suck at yoga, because the whole yoga-thing is about the individual and finding your own way to harmony, balance, and inner peace. It's one of the few activities where comparisons to other people is discouraged. You just do what you can do and if you keep doing it, you get better at it. At least I hope you get better at it because I have significant "room for improvement." Taking a yoga class makes my realize how inflexible I am! All the repetitive motion of cycling (or any other activity) can really lock you up. I have never been a big fan of stretching and I never stretch enough. Well, as I get older, that lack of flexibility has the potential to become more "embedded" and to even have impact on my quality of life. So I am trying to get to yoga class a little more consistently, at least once per week. It's hard for me. Not only is it physically challenging, but its also mentally challenging. Yoga is not something you can rush, you have to be very patient with yourself. I find it difficult to be patient, even forgiving, when my ability to get into a certain position or balance is limited. I start to tell myself "you suck at yoga," but then I find the other voice telling me, "be patient, just do what you can do." At this point I know yoga is good for me, and I need to do it, and I enjoy it, but I don't love it. Maybe if I didn't have that voice telling me that I suck at yoga......

1 comment:

RockStarTri said...

don't think you can suck at yoga

I beg to disagree. Exhibit #1: me.