The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Thursday, February 03, 2011

On My Mind



This is a Friday photo feature that links back to Rhonda's Down-to-Earth blog. Post a photo on your blog that shows something at home that you're thinking about TODAY.

Today (okay, really yesterday) I turned my kitchen into a chemistry lab and concocted some homemade household cleaners. For me, it's not about saving money, although that is certainly appreciated. It's about reducing the toxic load to which I and my family are exposed on a daily basis. The last time the house was cleaned, DH and I came home and we were both overwhelmed by the smell of chemicals. We decided it was time to make a change. I did some online research, including Rhonda's fabulous recipes and insights. I decided I would make laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, all purpose cleaner, wood floor cleaner, window cleaner and furniture polish. I made a shopping list and set off in search of the necessary ingredients. The only one I had difficulty finding was washing soda. I found it online at Alice.com, where shipping is always free. Yesterday I was home because of the ice storm that descended upon the northeast, and chemistry lab was my first task of the day. Then I made a big pot of split pea soup and cleaned up my kitchen with my new all-purpose cleaner!

Thank you, Rhonda and all the other folks that have inspired me to do this and given me the information to get it done.


2 comments:

Becky said...

OH I'd LOVE to hear how these work out for you. Good luck

Dmarie said...

well done! for me, it's about saving money AND going greener, so homemade products are a win/win on both counts. Just made a dishwasher detergent myself the other day. Looks like I need to search Rhonda Jean's site again...this time specifically for cleaner recipes. thx!