The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pay it Forward

I have a few friends in the bike club that are doing their first triathlon in 2 weeks. When they asked for some advice, I told them they have to do an open water swim before the race. And I promised them I would take them to a nearby pond with my little inflatable boat to get this done.

Three years ago, a few friends from the bike club who are also triathletes took me on my first open water swim before my return to triathlon after about 20 years. I had never worn a wet suit before and when I hit the cold water, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I freaked out. I was able to slay my open water demons the next week, but if my friends hadn't taken me for that swim, I never would have made it through the swim during the race. So today was my chance to pay it forward.

The Weather Gods, who have been very grumpy this past week, smiled upon us today. It was actually a lovely day, and the water was a little cold, but not as shockingly cold as I expected it to be. Three out of four of them had no problem. Rachelle quite enjoyed it-- she would have stayed in the water for a nice long swim if we could have worked it out. One of them struggled, just as I did 3 years ago. But she did get through it. Hope she will be okay at her race, because getting through the swim is all mental.

Speaking of mental, this past week in the NY metro area has been tough on the psyche. We had over 5 inches of rain. Between the downpours, we had never ending drizzle, fog, impending storms and consistent gloom. Wednesday ride canceled, Thursday ride canceled. I finally got out for a short ride yesterday evening. That was nice. And the world did not end so tomorrow I will ride again!

p.s. My husband went to his college reunion. I did not go with him because I promised to do this OWS today. But I did give him my little camera for the occasion. I miss my little Canon! I would have liked to take a picture of my friends today in their wetsuits.

1 comment:

RockStarTri said...

This weather must break soon or else. I rode this morning in a mist the whole time and we described it best as "moist." Next weekend I think I'm heading north but on the other side of the river: repeats up Perkins @ Bear Mt.