The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Riding with the B Boys

Today was the Bloomin' Metric, a ride sponsored by the Sound Cyclists (a neighboring bike club), that starts on the beach in Norwalk and travels beautiful roads ion Fairfield CT. They offer several mileage options including a metric century. I'm not sure why I've never done the Bloomin' Metric, especially since it's a favorite of so many members of my club. But this year there was no "day of" registration, and by the time I thought about it, it was sold out.

I decided to have breakfast with some of my girlfriends and ride in the afternoon, for a change. So I posted a C ride, knowing that I would probably only get a handful of folks to join me, since most of my peeps would be doing the Bloomin' Metric. To make my ride even less attractive, today was not a nice day. It was drizzly in the mroning, and the sun never came out. I had to put on an extra layer, since the temperature barely made it to 60 degrees, even during the warmest part of the day.

The Rider Formerly Known as Slow Rider Bob showed up. He had already taken a spin class, so he didn't mind going slow. Then Nick showed up. He had to work in the morning, and he decided he didn't want to ride alone. Then Peter rolled into the parking lot quite by accident. He didn't even know my ride was on the schedule, but why ride fast but solo when you can ride slow with some of your buddies. It was me and the fast boys. Uh oh. I was feeling a little intimidated because they are all way faster than me. Well, it turned out to be a great ride. Having them with me certainly pushed me to push to ride a little faster, but they always stayed with me. Bob made sure to stay behind me, letting me set the pace, for the entire 32 miles. Nick pulled me up some of the hills, and when we stopped at our favorite cafe, he bought me an iced coffee. When we finished, my final speed was definitely higher than my usual. It was also a chance to get to know these people a little better and they are all good people. It was a great ride, a great opportunity to challenge myself, and fun to connect with the B boys.

16 on Friday, 20 on Saturday and 32 on Sunday. Not too bad for a weekend when it was either raining or always looking like it was going to rain.

No comments: