The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Planning a Minor Adventure

As a member of SUNY's (State University of New York) faculty and significant involvement with the University Faculty Senate, I travel to many out-of-the-way places throughout New York State. Whenever I make these excursions (typically 3 days/2 nights), I try to fit in a little adventure or sightseeing, if I am traveling by car. I have brought my bike on several of these trips. Tomorrow I am going to a meeting in Rensselaerville, only for 1 night. Our meeting starts with lunch and ends in the late afternoon on Friday. I scouted out bike routes using Ridewithgps, and all the routes anywhere near Rensselaerville have very substantial climbs (of course with corresponding hair raising descents). I try not to let the hills scare me, but I don't like riding on roads that I've never ridden before with very hilly terrain, especially solo. So I am planning a different adventure.

When I was an undergrad at SUNY Albany, one of my favorite places to visit was Thacher State Park. The park is atop the Helderberg Escarpment (fancy word for big cliff) and the most popular trail travels along the bottom of this cliff.



Tomorrow morning I am going to get up really early to drive up to Thacher and spend a couple of hours there, before finishing my journey to Rensselaerville (which is less than 20 miles away). Its supposed to be a beautiful day and I am looking forward to this little hiking adventure on the Indian Ladder Trail. Hope to bring back some nice photos too.

No comments: