The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Missing Elph and Loving Flowers

My addiction to pocket-sized cameras goes way back. In the early 80s I bought an Olympus XA, which has become a classic camera. That camera was in my pocket on many adventures. I remember being somewhere and thinking, I wish I had my BIG camera, instead of just the XA. Well, when I got the pictures DEVELOPED (remember film? you had to pay to get the pictures developed) I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderfulness of the pictures I had taken with the simplest little Olympus XA that I pulled out of my pocket at perfect photo ops.

Now fast forward to the digital era and the XA has been replaced by a Canon 850, aka the Elph. I love my Elph and take it just about everywhere. One of my new year resolutions was to always have Elph in my pocket. Well, maybe not always, but almost always. I may not always take it out, but I do have it with me. I even have a special "pocket" for it on my bike.

Last weekend, when I packed to go to my niece's wedding, I put the Elph, and an extra battery and the battery charger in my bag. I never saw the extra battery and the charger again. I have no idea what happened to them. But when the I wanted to replace the battery 5 minutes into the wedding, I didn't have it.

I thought about just going into the nearest Best Buy and replacing them...... $40. Then I found the charger and the battery at Overstock.com for under $10 (including shipping). So I am sitting out a few days without my Elph. Actually, I am looking at a very sad powerless Elph and waiting for the magic Elph Juice to revive my pocket wonder.

Not having the Elph has given me the opportunity to share the love. On Friday DH and I went to the New York Botanical Garden (NYBG) in the Bronx. The NYBG is my home turf... I grew up nearby and I have spent a decent amount of time there over the years. DH, on the other hand, doesn't ever remember being there, even though he too grew up in the Bronx. We spent a good part of the day there, exploring the Enid Haupt Conservatory, the perennial garden and the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden. Out came the Canon Rebel and the macro lens. I took 140 photos! Enjoy a few flowers.






No comments: