The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Atercrash Aftermath

I'm doing well, all things considered. I am moving slower, but I went to work on Monday. I have had some interesting conversations with friends and colleagues. "Hi Shelly, how was your weekend.". "Uh, I got hit by a truck on Saturday and spent a few hours in the ER but nothing is broken.". A few friends are encouraging me to rethink this whole cycling thing. One suggested sticking to the bike trails, another suggested hiking as an alternative. I reminded her that I was attacked by bees while hiking. Son #2 suggested spinning classes. I know several others were thinking similar thoughts but didn't verbalized them. On the other hand, my DH went for a ride on Sunday, alone (after I assured him that I didn't need him to stay home with me).

I expected this. After all, I have had 2 serious accidents in the past 1.5 years. I've never thought about cycling as a dangerous sport, despite numerous accidents to club members every year. Most of those people are back on their bikes as soon as they are able. Right now I feel like one of those people. If I had a body and a bike in working order, I would be out there this weekend. Am I crazy?

The bike is fine, the back wheel needed to be trued, and she has a few new scratches. My favorite outdoor fitness jacket got a bit ripped up, I think I can patch it. I was wearing a pair of nice (unpadded) bike shorts over my very nice (padded) tights. The shorts are ripped up but the tights are fine. I may try to sew the shorts up with some bright colored embroidery thread, and make them my good luck bike shorts. As for me, it is going to take time. The bruising on my arm and butt are extreme. I hurt. The soreness has actually gotten a little worse over the last few days. It is the end of the season, so I don't feel like I am missing out on very much. This could take several months to really heal. So I will have time to think it all through but come spring, I hope Dolce and I are back on the road.

1 comment:

RockStarTri said...

I too unfortunately have some experience with bike accidents. One of the biggest recommendations that I received from "people in the know" was to make sure someone knowledgable checks out your bike's fork. Microcracks can lead to it failing and that is really, really bad while riding.

Good thing you are ok.