The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Whole Lot of Nothing Going On

It's been a tough week in our house. On Wednesday, DH went to LaGuardia Airport to pick up son #2. He called from the Bronx..... he drove over a big chunk of something and ripped out his transmission. So while he got towed, I drove to the airport and then picked up DH. His car spent Thanksgiving weekend in the Bronx. Tomorrow, DH will figure out the logistics of getting the transmission replaced.

Like DH's Mistubishi, I spent most of Thanksgiving weekend doing nothing. Unless giving yourself time to heal counts as something. Well, I did a few things, but nothing active.

Yesterday my cycling friends celebrated a birthday with a bunch of rides that all started at a nearby park.. After the rides, we gathered in the "pavilion," where they have a fireplace, electric outlets and picnic tables. I didn't ride, but I did make guacamole and get the fire started. We plugged in a couple of crockpots and had a giant pot luck after Thanksgiving party. At least I can participate in partying.

Today I did some cooking, and it wore me out. My left thumb/hand is still quite sore and all the food prep really made my hand (and some other body parts) hurt. Advil. I do feel like I am healing.....now I am getting impatient. The scabs, the bruises, the discomfort.....I know I need to cut myself some slack and just give my body the time it's going to need, however long that might be. I keep having to remind myself that I got hit by a truck a week ago. I will re-evaluate next weekend. Maybe I can start doing something, even if it's just going for a walk.

I did enjoy spending time with friends and family. My mom came up from Florida and we went to lunch and the movies together on Tuesday. Son #2 flew home from North Dakota. How wonderful to see him beaming and sharing his adventures as a student pilot. So proud of him. He exudes professionalism and responsibility for the lifestyle he has chosen. Son #1 met us at my brother's house on Thanksgiving. So proud of him, my working boy, also a responsible professional. And now its just DH and I. Trying to stay awake through the football game. Trying not to think about going back to work tomorrow after the long weekend. Business as usual in the empty nest.

No comments: