The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Food

I've been thinking about food, probably very typical of many people as we start a new year and resolve to "eat healthier" and lose some weight. I came across a very short "piece" written by Mark Bittman in the New York Times, acknowledging that while weight loss has become an obsession, most Americans do need to eat better. Whatever path you choose to eat better, they share a universal truth: eat more plants. And the corollary of that is to eat no meat and no dairy..... well, how about eating less meat and dairy to make room for more plants.
The "eat more plants" part made me think of Michael Pollan and I was able to find this article also published in the New York Times in which he lays out some basic rules for "eating better." There are 9 rules (which were expanded to 64 rules in his book, Food Rules) but they can be summarized in 7 words. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

I was a vegetarian for about 5 years. I went back to eating meat for several reasons, mostly because 1) I wasn't necessarily eating better as a vegetarian and 2) I was spending too much time in the kitchen because I was also preparing carnivorous meals for the rest of my family. But thinking about this over the last few days, maybe Bittman has the right idea, semi-vegan, just shifting away from carnivore and toward vegetarian. That would certainly be a shift in the right direction, a better balance.

The thinking about it part is easy, its the doing part that's tough. More to think about when I watch the season opener of The Biggest Loser this evening.

No comments: