The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, July 20, 2012

Mono

Not me, my husband. This started about 4 weeks ago. He got really sick, scary sick. When I finally convinced him that it wasn't food poisoning and took him to the doctor (because at that point he couldn't take himself), his spleen was quite enlarged and his red blood cells were MIA. The doctor said, "this looks like mono." Well, she was right. By the time we got a diagnosis, he was starting to feel better, and now at not quite 4 weeks out, he is feeling much better. He has no stamina, and usually goes to bed early, but he has been going to work and making it through the day without a 4 hour nap!

BUT we booked a cycling vacation in the Canadian Rockies, starting July 30. We are scheduled to leave this Thursday to spend a few days visiting son #2 in North Dakota. We don't have trip insurance....... so I am going and DH is not. There is no way that he will be able to ride and rather than spend 6 days in the SAG wagon, we decided to take a credit for 2/3 of his trip. When it was clear that he was not critically ill and would be able to take care of himself, I asked him how he would feel if I went without him, and he reminded me that he has taken vacations without me.

And so, I am going to Grand Forks ND, then Calgary, where I will be picked up by Bicycle Adventures for a cycling tour from Banff to Jasper. I am excited and looking forward to it, and yet disappointed that my DH isn't coming. Ironic that we picked this trip because he has never been there. I guess I will have to tour the Canadian Rockies twice!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow. That sucks he is sick :( The human body can be annoying sometimes!

Well, better gear up for the adventure!!! Do enjoy your trip. It sounds like a good one.

RockStarTri said...

hope he feels better soon. Meanwhile, enjoy your trip!