The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, March 29, 2013

Family

Holidays...... holidays bring many families together and often there is food involved. And so it was with my family celebrating Passover. Passover is one of my most favorite holidays. For me it's about celebrating spring's rebirth as much as it is about freedom. This year everyone in my family (brother, mother, nieces, nephews, cousins, uncles and associated spouses and partners) agreed to celebrate on Sunday, even though Passover was Monday night. My sister-in-law had the day on Sunday to get ready. Nobody had to rush to get there after work. There was much less traffic traveling down the NJ Turnpike. But most important, we had more time to spend together. I happen to love my family and cherish time we can be together. That is the way it is supposed to be, but I know it doesn't always work that way.

Every year my brother prepares a game show for us to play. Last year it was Let's Make a Deal and this year it was The Price is Right. We had to guess the prices of all the products my sister-in-law used to prepare our seder. Do you know the price of a 14 oz container of Manischewitz matzo farfel..... do you even know what matzo farfel is? The money we earned in the Price is Right was then used in a gift exchange Yankee Swap style. OMG. My uncle ended up with a pink striped plunger. The whole event was hilarious.

My family will be together again very soon. My niece is getting married in 5 weeks. I'm so excited. So much to celebrate as winter melts away to spring.

No comments: