The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

More Core

I so love being on the bike.  Apparently lots of other people feel the same way.  I went for club rides on Saturday and Easter Sunday and both rides drew about 20 riders.  Saturday’s ride was not the prettiest, but I felt strong and it warmed up to 70 by the time we got done.  Sunday’s ride was perfect—the perfect distance, the perfect terrain, the perfect weather and the perfect blooming landscape.
I have been thinking about where I want to go with my “program.” If I could quit working and workout several hours a day everyday, I would do it all! Ride, run, lift, hike, pilates, urban rebound, swim, maybe even yoga!  But the reality is that I’m going to have to establish some goals and fit the program into my available time.  So 10K and a Trek is going to be my mantra for the next few months.  I also need to strengthen my core.  I have no doubt that strengthening my core will have impact across all activities, beyond running and riding.  During the week, I am going to focus on core, lifting and running.  On my day off, I am going to aim for a nice bike ride.  On weekends, I will mix riding and hiking.  This still sounds like I’m biting off more than I can chew, but I’ll see how it goes.  
I have been very inconsistent with workouts over the last few weeks.  I have not been as good about my nutrition as I should be.  Then there was Passover and Plattsburgh cinnamon buns and jelly beans everywhere!  I have gained a pound or two, which is not a big deal.  It will come off once I get back on track.  
And I am back on track. I got back to the gym last night and it felt good.   I did a series of pre-exercise activities, ran 30 minutes, prehab activities, and lifted.  It took me 90 minutes to get thru this workout.  I did not have to drop my weights.  This morning I am a little sore through my core, which is a good sign.  Shoulders, back, glutes, obliques, I hit them all yesterday.  I’m downing the H2O, the lunch bag is packed with good food.  
DH had an Achilles setback.  He started stretching it and it got very sore.  So he is back on the clogs, no stretching.  The good news is he has taken out his bike a few times and been pain free.  I just hope he doesn’t push the bike.  

No comments: