The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Sunday, February 11, 2007

GSIU Week #6

This was not the best week overall for the GSIU campaign. I worked late couple of days, had a meeting a 3rd day, and got lazy for another day or two. So, I didn't get in the gym time I should have. When presented with a free lunch, I ate too much of the wrong thing. There were a couple of bright spots; the week was not a total disaster.
1) I had an MRI of my knee done on Wednesday and I will call the doctor tomorrow, but I am hopeful that the report will confirm the fact that my knee problem is not in fact a knee problem. I scheduled my first appointment for physical therapy for this Tuesday.
2) Yesterday I totally busted my a$$ at the gym. It was Dab the Wussy and Beyond. I took a body sculpting class that really got into my core and my shoulders. Then I took a spin class and just didn't hold back, until the last five minutes when I was really out of gas!
3) I tried a new food-- tempeh. Tempeh is made by a fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form. It has a stronger flavor that tofu and a higher protein content. I made Barbecued Tempeh with Bell Peppers from the Vegetarian Times Cookbook and I loved it! Are you feeling adventursoy? Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tb rice wine vinegar
4 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp honey
8 ounces tempeh
1 cup sliced onion
2 red or green bell peppers, cut into strips
1/4 cup tomato paste
1-2 Tb molasses
1-2 Tb brown sugar
2 tsp mustard
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in a mixing bowl. Put the tempeh in the bowl, covering it with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Turn occasionally. Drain the tempeh, reserve the marinade. Cut the tempeh into small cubes.
2. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray (I actaully prefer to use a little olive oil) and heat over medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers amd cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the marinade, tomato paste, molasses, sugar, mustard, vinegar, garlic, chili powder and 3/4 cup water to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, add the tempeh, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered until the mixture begins to thicken, maybe 10 minutes. Mash the tempeh slightly with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4.

Per serving: 222 calories, 18G protein, 5G fat, 30G carb, 0 MG chol, 215 Mg Sodium, 7G fiber

No comments: