The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Slow Down Diet

The Slow Down Diet: Eating for Pleasure Energy and Weight Loss by Marc David

I don’t remember where I heard or read about this book, but I reserved it at my library and I have been ripping through it. There is a good deal of wisdom in this book. Although it is supported by scientific evidence, the strength of the book lies in allowing you to acknowledge these principles and making them part of your daily life. The basic premise is that the pace at which we live our lives has a profound effect on our metabolism. The result is a diminished ability to draw nutrients and produce energy from our food. We are left with little pleasure from our meals, and a physiological reason to eat more and accumulate more fat. The antidote is “slowing down:” become more aware. Open. Centered. Present. Balanced. An alignment of body and mind will cause changes in your nervous, endocrine, and immune systems that will result in the ability to burn calories at an optimal rate. He identifies 8 universal metabolizers: relaxation, quality, awareness, rhythm, pleasure, thought, story and the sacred. I think I will do separate posts on each of these, as I read, reread, and ponder.

1 comment:

leslie said...

Love what you find and write about. I'm going to check this book out.

Truthfully, it's hard for me to slow down and be aware of what I eat, because I am a dedicated multi-tasker and that seems to be working. But intuitively I "get" that slowing down is a valuable thing to do. I'll let you know if I go from "considering" to "incorporating".