The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Monday, April 16, 2007

One Painfree Mile, the Nor'easter, Killer Pillows, and MIL Update

On Saturday, I ran one mile on the treadmill. One painfree mile. I will probably bump that up to 1.5 tomorrow, but I am not to go any higher than that until I see the PT for my last visit on Wednesday. That is the good news. The bad news is running 1 mile was hard! I have lost a good chunk of my aerobic base. I'm hoping it will be easy to get it back once I get back in the groove.

We planned on spending Sunday indoors, and that is what we did. It rained steadily all day, but the high winds never seemed to be a problem and although it rained hard, it never had the intensity of a summer thunderboomer. It just rained and rained and rained......... Our house is on top of a little hill, and we never have water issues, so we don't pay much attention to the flood warnings, etc. At a little before 6 am this morning, the phone rang and it was a recording from the school district that the schools are closed today. When I drove past the middle school on my way to the train station, I understood why they made that decision. The water was up to the front door.

Is my pillow killing me? I have woken up with a headache for the last few days. I'm not a headachey person, so this was a little unusual. On Friday, I couldn't get rid of it either, despite 2 Tylenols and 2 Advils. Last night I woke up during the night and felt the headache as soon as I turned my head to look at the clock. I sleep with 2 pillows, and I decided to throw the top one off the bed. When I woke up a few hours later, the headache was gone.

My MIL is not doing well. She has lung cancer and has had 3 weeks of chemotherapy. She became so weak and debilitated that she couldn't really get out of bed. My SIL (not the one with 2 broken wrists) got her to the doctor and she was so dehydrated that they put her on an IV for 2 days. She rebounded a bit but it's not clear if the cancer or the chemo is killing her. I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to quit treatment. In the meantime, it is time to start thinking about home care, etc. DH will probably make a trip to Florida next week to help sort out some of these issues.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL.

In regards to the running, while it sucks to feel out of shape, I definitely think the law of diminishing returns works in this situation. When you're first getting in shape is when you see the fastest results!! Good luck!