The Ins and Outs of an Ordinary Life

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Life on a Dysfunctional Island With a Crockpot

Came into work today and the network is down. Cannot access the internet or my email or my working files. I am writing this in Word, to post when the network comes back. Yesterday somebody remarked to me “can you imagine not having a computer?” It’s not the computer as much as having it connected to the rest of the world. I have the computer, but without an internet connection, it’s one step short of useless. I have become an island. I can’t even access my own files, so I’m a dysfunctional island. Yeesh. Hopefully this will be a temporary problem.

I had a very healthy 3 day weekend. I got to the gym on Saturday, Sunday and Monday for 2 spinning classes, 4 miles on the treadmill, 1 “extended” UBWO” and 1 “basic” LBWO. I ate well, except for the calzone on Saturday afternoon, and even that was not real bad. I am down to 108 lbs. I have broken the 109 plateau, and hopefully I can stay on this side of 109. I went to Whole Foods on Saturday and bought lots of good for you grains and beans, like steel cut oats, barley, lentils, and wheatberries and black beans. On Sunday I did some good for you cooking. I made black bean and wheatberry soup, morrocan roast vegetables, and oriental chicken in the crockpot. I got this great crockpot cookbook out of the library and there’s about a hundred recipes in there that I want to try. Yesterday I made maple-oat granola in the crockpot, but it required stirring at ½ to 1 hour intervals over about 6 hours, so I don’t know if it was worth it. I experimented with finding the right amount of grains, water and time to prepare breakfast overnight in the mini-crockpot. Today’s concoction seemed to be pretty good! From the mental health perspective, I dealt with all the dry cleaning and laundry that was returned and emptied all the boxes. I removed every plastic bag from my everyday clothes in my closet, and pruned my wardrobe a bit. It sure felt good this morning when I opened my closet and I could “see” and find my clothes. DH and I went to the movies on Saturday night at the Paramount to see Good Night and Good Luck. The movie was very good and we got to spend some “quality” time together.

AND DH has gotten the OK to start rehabbing his Achilles. He has some PT scheduled and he has started riding the bike at the gym, for short amounts of time and low intensity. He is not wearing the clogs, at least not all the time, and his back feels better. He has been keeping a daily log of what he eats and his workouts, and has a much better idea of what he is doing right and what he is doing wrong. His weight is slowly starting to come down. Life is good, except for temporarily being a dysfunctional island.

No comments: